Damaged power leads or plugs on appliances, appliances that have come in contact with water and appliances that have faulty wiring all pose fire and safety risks. Electric shock is the most common hazard associated with these problems but fire may also be a risk. When a faulty appliance is being used, it is possible that the user could come into contact with exposed wires, or electrical current causing electric shock. Leaving a faulty appliance plugged in and unattended could also result in fire. To minimise these risks, install a safety switch in your home or use a portable one. Always unplug appliances not in use or turn off the power at the socket. This also saves on your power bill. If you have any concerns about a particular appliance, have a licensed electrician check it over. Always check power leads for fraying and damage and never let them come into contact with potential dangers such as cooking utensils and light bulbs. Cords should never be covered by rugs or furniture and should be secured. Do not leave appliances such as dryers running at night and replace any appliance that has an unusual odour, or is not functioning properly.